I haven’t written about my RSB in a while, but I keep meaning to. I know most people won’t find this especially interesting, but as a mom, I feel compelled to write about his growth and development. It really is amazing to watch this tiny little creature grow into an actual person right before your eyes. So here goes:
- I love watching him eat a cracker. He holds it with his cute little hands and takes 2 or 3 delicate little nibbles –then he just starts chomping at it. So it’s really “nibble, nibble, nibble, chomp, and then shove-the-remaining-piece in my mouth.” Or if he doesn’t cram the rest in his mouth, he’ll throw it on the floor and then stomp on it. And then he laughs about it. Hilarious! Of course, the cleaning up of the crumbs is not hilarious. We say no to the stomping but he just finds that hilarious.
- RSB knows his shoes. He can tell his outside shoes from his indoor shoes, and has preferences for which shoes to put on. He will yell and put up a fight until you put on the shoes he wants. I just bought him the cutest kicks a week ago and he loves them. They are Geox sneakers in a blue, orange, cream combo and they’re meant for early walkers. Whenever he sees them, he’ll pick them up, bring ‘em to you, and indicate that he wants them. Sometimes he's even say "this! this!" If you try to put on a different pair, he’s continue to yell at you and put up a fuss. Ye gods. Shoe connoisseur? I am worried.
- RSB loves dogs. He has a little toy puppy that barks when you press its tummy. He’ll pick it up and give it to you and go “oof, oof” (or some variation therof) which indicates that he wants you to make the dog bark (he can’t do it on his own yet). He also loves videos of dogs we find on YouTube and will sit there and watch for a good 15 minutes. He’ll be actively pointing and making observations.
- RSB discovered he could walk backwards a few days ago. It’s a cool parlor trick, but he only does it when he wants to. He also loves to climb up the stairs (which is certainly a very dangerous hobby).
- RSB loves golf! Which is great for the hubs. RSB can be his caddy in a couple of years! Hahah... RSB was given a trio of toy golf clubs to play with and he always walks around with one clutched tightly in his hand. If you try to pry it off, he will get pissed off. He even falls asleep with a club in his hands. He also likes to hit golf balls around. So he's definitely a golfer in training.
- RSB is also fascinated by my guitar. Whenever I play, he'll grab the guitar pick from me and try to use it. But he always has a quizzical look on his face when he uses the pick and doesn't make a sound. I think he thinks that the sound comes from the pick and wonders why I can still play without it. He also likes to dance when I'm playing!
- RSB is a skinny little dude. I have tried to no avail to fatten him up, but it just isn’t happening. I am very worried about this despite the fact that his pediatrician says he’s healthy and growing normally. The doc keeps saying that it’s a matter of genetics and that he's following his own growth curve. She keeps saying "well you're not exactly a giant yourself, so you shouldn't really expect him to be." But then I tell her that I see tons of moms with chubby, tubby babies! WTF?! It’s gotten to the point that I feel I have done something wrong to make RSB such a small baby. Like maybe I should've breastfed him every hour on the hour, or gave him more formula if he so much as cried when he was younger. He’s at the 50th-75th percentile for height, thank goodness, but he’s consistently at the 5-10th % percentile for weight. The thing I don't get is that he has a good appetite. He eats a good breakfast, lunch, and dinner and some snacks in between. His favorite food is this dish I created: broccoli and cauliflower, cheese sauce, and tofu all blended together. He can eat a whole bowl of this. He also has about 15-20 ounces of milk, plus a can on Pediasure daily. And I also put tons of butter or olive oil in a lot of his meals. So what gives? He’s still a skinny dude and I’m still a worried mom. Gah! I don’t know why he’s not any chubbier. Although he does have my dad’s body type I suppose –small and skinny despite always eating and snacking. And like my doc says, babies come in all shapes and sizes and not to worry as long as he is healthy.
Well of course I count my blessings and I’m glad RSB is nice and healthy! He’s outgoing, sociable, annoying, whiny, cute, active, smart, whimsical, and all that and a bag of chips!