Motherhood. Mayhem. Musings.
3 Weeks Ago:
- I was shopping at Bloomingdale’s and browsing through Theory’s spring collection.
- I was tying up loose ends at work and managing files to transfer them to my replacement.
- The hubs and I were still working on the baby’s room.
- I thought I still had a couple more weeks to go until the baby’s arrival.
- I got 7-8 hours of glorious sleep every night.
2 Weeks Ago:
- The hubs and I brought our baby home from the hospital! It was a quite a scary drive knowing you have precious cargo in the backseat! I'm still aprehensive about driving with him in the back!
- I actually felt like a full-fledged mom when we had to bring little Jacob to the hospital because he had jaundice –-he was given phototherapy and had to stay overnight in the hospital until his bilirubin levels went down. Even though this is a normal occurrence, I still felt so bad and worried over him!
- I only got about 4-5 hours of sleep (and non-consecutive and that!)
- My boobs hurt! (but they still have not gotten bigger. Phooey) Breastfeeding is not an easy task.
1 Week Ago:
- I can actually multi-task while breastfeeding! I can read a book or eat a snack (some of the time, at least).
- I take pictures of Jacob on an almost daily basis.
- I got about 6 hours of sleep (still non-consecutive).
- I actually got out of the house, ran errands, did some shopping (for baby essentials) and left Jacob and the hubs at home. They were still in one piece when I got back. I drove my car with the windows down (in 40-degree weather) and my music loud!
- We started calling our parents lolo and lola!
- I actually made breakfast for myself. But then had to eat it while breastfeeding the little guy.
- I actually cooked dinner for the hubs and I!
- I completed some medical forms to add Jacob under my insurance.
- I changed his diaper about 9-10 times today so far –including one poopie gone awry! I had to rinse out a blanket and everything!
- I washed my hands at least 10 times today. Talk about dry, chapped hands!
* * * * *
So it’s been about 2 weeks or so since I’ve given birth. This whole “mom” thing is quite a formidable task and my days as mom are so different from my pre-parenthood days. I have a son. Craziness. It’s weird because I find myself calling the pediatrician’s office and saying “I’d like to make an appointment for my son, Jacob.” It's still a little surreal to say "my son." Even though it's weird for me to say "my son," I immediately felt like a mom during my stay at the hospital. I even missed my little baby when they would take him back to the nursery for a few hours! I especially felt like a full-fledged mom a few days after giving birth, when we had to take Jacob back to the hospital because he had jaundice. At that point, there was no turning back. Now, my days and nights are spent taking care of this little guy. It’s not easy and we’re still getting used to each other. But one thing’s for sure –we’re already in love with our little guy and he’s growing fast! He’ll be 3 weeks old come Friday and he already looks quite different from the day we brought him home!
Jacob - 3 Days Old
Rockstar baby! Check out his hair after a sponge bath!
Getting some tummy time...
My little bunny...
I'm doing a poopie on the Boppy!