I've been tagged by Cat and Ms. Sassy (respectively)! I've actually combined them into one book meme, so please bear with me if it seems a bit reduntant. Who knew this book meme would be so darn hard to complete? But it was fun nonetheless!
I love books! I read almost anything (well, except for romance novels where there's a half-naked chick on the cover). But I usually read in phases. There will be months where all I want to do is re-read Harry Potter or check out the new "chick-lit" book out there. There are also times where I want to curl up with a new, critically acclaimed contemporary novel. So, it was a bit hard to answer this since my answers are everywhere! Here goes...
Total books owned: If this means all the books I’ve ever owned in my life…well then it would probably be close to a 800 or so. Maybe even a thousand.
Number of books on the shelves: Right now, it’s a pretty manageable number...I would say about 250 or so. I’ve donated, sold, thrown away, and given a lot away over the years. Also lost quite a few books during my many moves.
Those that I own/ bought: Over the course of time, people have bought me hundreds of books. Of those that are on my shelf at this moment, I would say I bought about 90% of them.
Last Five books that I bought:
1) The Gossip Girl Series Second Collection by Cecily von Ziegesar
2) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
3) The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
4) Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
5) My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi Picoult
Book/s I'm reading now:
1) Raw Law: A Hip-Hop Guide to Criminal Justice by Muhammad Ibn Bashir, Esq.
2) Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
3) The Book of Salt by Monique Truong
Last Five books read:
1) Gossip Girl Books #4-6 by Cecily von Ziegesar
2) Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
3) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K Rowling
4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K Rowling
5) The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
Types of Books I Read:
1. Fiction: Contemporary fiction; Chick-lit/beach reads –the kind you can finish in a couple of hours without even thinking; Classical literature from time to time; Fantasy (e.g., Harry Potter, etc.)
2. Non-fiction: Autobiographies; History; Reference books/guides
Five Books that I cherish/mean a lot to me:
1. The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
2. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
3. The Weetzie Bat Series by Francesa Lia Block
4. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
5. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
6. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
7. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Favorite Filipiniana Books:
I’m not sure if these would be considered Filipiniana…but they are Filipino-themed:
1. Dogeaters by Jessica Hagedorn
2. Gangster of Love by Jessica Hagedorn
3. America is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan –love and hate it
I'm tagging: Girlie, Riss, Jey, Evi, Lady Charlie, and The Other Jo
Song of the Day:
Munich by The Editors